Other

Set elements


Definition:

The human body is about 95% carbon, oxygen, nitrogen and hydrogen. The remaining 5% of the body mass is essentially the seven set elements: Calcium, chlorine, potassium, magnesium, sodium, phosphorus and sulfur. These chemical elements, essential to the body, are involved in the basal processes of life.
As a limit - in contrast to the trace elements - a value of 0.05g (50mg) per kg applies. If the amount of an element falls below that limit, it belongs to the trace elements. Correspondingly, elements with a share of more than 50 mg per kg belong to the quantity elements.
When looking at the label of a water bottle, one discovers exactly the same ingredients. Because a high proportion of the daily requirement for quantity elements is covered by drinking water. Electrolytes dissolved in water reach the body cycle within a few seconds (not all) after ingestion. The cytosol of each cell contains dissolved calcium, potassium, magnesium and sodium. Without these minerals, neither cell communication nor excitation transmission would be possible. Our organism is thus dependent on the quantity elements for life.

Table: Overview of the quantity elements

trace elementsFunction in the body
Calcium (Ca)Part of the bones; Participation in the triggering of action potentials
Chlorine (Cl)Maintaining the resting potential, regulation of the water balance
Potassium (K)Maintaining the resting potential; Regulation of blood pressure
Magnesium (Mg)Co-factor for enzymes
Sodium (Na)Triggering the action potentials
Phosphorus (P)Component of adenosine triphosphate, deoxyribonucleic acid and ribonucleic acid
Sulfur (S)Component of vitamin B1, B7, cysteine ​​and methionine